MARRIAGE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
Must get license 24 hours prior to ceremony and within 30 days.
Marriage license fee is $27.50 cash only.
A. If parties are 18 years old and over – each party must have…
1) State certified birth record, social security number, valid driver’s license or ID
2) If previously married must have certified Judgment of Divorce or certified Death Certificate
3) Only one party must appear to apply
4) Clerk’s office will make copies and return original documents presented to attach to our copy of application. Person born in another country see item “D” below.
B. If parties age 16 or 17 years old –
1) Both parties sign application
2) Parents of minors must sign consent form for minor to apply for license –
· If parents of minor married, both must sign consent form
· If parents divorced and have joint custody, a certified copy of custody order must be presented and both must sign consent form
· If one parent has full custody, a certified copy of that custody order must be presented and that parent must sign consent form
· If legal guardian of minor is other than a parent, a certified copy of custody order must be presented and the guardian signs the consent form
3) State certified copy of minor’s birth certificate must be kept in clerk’s office for one year or until the minor turns 18 years of age, whichever is shorter time.
4) If previously married must have certified Judgment of Divorce or certified Death Certificate
5) Both parties must apply for license
6) Social security card and valid ID or driver’s license
7) Clerk’s office keeps a copy of all documents presented and keeps attached to our copy of marriage application unless we are required to keep the certified copy
C. If either page is age 15 or under –
1) Before applying – must have written authorization to marry from the Judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the parish in which the minor resides or the marriage ceremony is to be performed. (This authorization will be kept with our copy of application.)
2) Follow instruction in Section B, items 1 through 7
D. Applicants born out of United States & does not have a Social Security # must present: 1) a valid & unexpired passport from the country of birth or 2) unexpired Visa accompanied by a Form I-94 issued by the United States 3) a certified birth record & a translation sworn by fluent translator accompanied with sworn notarized statement that it is true & accurate representation of the original birth record. Copies of Items 1 or 2 will not be kept but Item 3 original certified document will be kept, but certified birth record may be return to that individual after 60 days.
Keep copies of document unless required to keep original or certified copies for our files.